Monday, May 17, 2010

A Shared Story

Photo by Zlatko Batistich



Every week I find myself reading an email one of Gregory's friends sent me the day after he passed away. I wanted the courage to read it during Gregory's funeral service, but courage was not there. So I am sharing it today instead....

From Jim Olen:
I wrote this note to Gregory the other day - I thought you might like to read it as well.
And if there is a place where memories and thoughts are shared, please feel free to add this to the collection.

Be well, Paige. And stay strong. - Jim


Greg-

Of all souls who have been in and out of my life over the decades, it was yours that had the greatest and most impact on me. You shared with me one-of-a-kind experiences, taught me life-lasting lessons, and co-created more no-one-will-ever-believe-this stories than we could ever fit within the covers of a book. You showed me, step by step, the correct (and sometimes not-so-correct) ways to squeeze every last drop out of life, leaving regret at the proverbial doorstep. You introduced me to a legion of wonderful people, to the singular joy of a great single malt, and to a side of my own creativity to which was lying in quiet repose just waiting for an invitation to come out and play.

But maybe most of all, you showed me why getting permission - at times - is highly overrated. And that a good idea bows to no one.

I will never forget you, Pruitt, for all that you were then, and for all that you became since. Go in peace, my old friend, and just know that you live on in those who you touched. And one day, I'll meet you at the Chelsea Hotel once again, and we'll debate about the topics of your choice - until sunrise and beyond. Cocktails are on me.

- Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment