Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Childhood Memories

Photography by Paige Pruitt-Haase

Growing up we moved a lot. Not just to new homes, but to different cities or even states. We had long stints, 2 years, sprinkled in, but for the most part, Gregory and I had to recreate our lives annually. We were always the "new kids" in school and on the block. It was easy to be someone different everywhere we landed.

One of my best memories is from a time where Gregory and I were still dependent on each other, not only as siblings but as friends. We always had sort of rivalry, but it was the kind that made you competitive on the tennis court, in the swimming pool and skateboarding.

We had just moved to Greenville, SC. The smallest town we had ever lived in. It was miles, and days away from the comfort of our life in Texas. Yes, a culture shock! People took the time to smile and say hello. Neighbors introduced themselves and welcomed us, like family. I felt that Gregory and I had finally felt the opportunity to just be ourselves. We did not have to create new identities, people accepted us just as we were!

We never had problems making friends, we were just afraid to get close to people. It was too painful at the end of the year, saying good-bye to those friends as we moved along to the next place. But, in Greenville we let our guard down. Let people become a part of our lives. We had a blast, freeing our hearts and minds. Gregory discovered his passion for golf, I lived for tennis.

I had always looked up to my brother even before we moved to South Carolina, but it was there that I knew I could count on him for anything. He protected me from family matters, he stood up for me at school, he complemented all that I tried to accomplish. Don't get me wrong, he also did hurtful big brother stuff, like destroy my Barbie collection, kicked me out of his room when his friends were there. Things like that. I look at those times and truly forgive - he had to take out his frustrations on something! So I gladly give him the Barbie collection for the times that he stood between me and danger...

It makes my heart smile when I remember all the times that Gregory would challenge me to eat dirt, do a back flip in the grass, reach into a hole in the ground and keep your hand there to the count of 10, strap my feet to a skateboard with electrical tape and go down the BIG hill. Yes, he taught me to "take it to the limit". Even a "friendly" game of tennis turned in to our own Wimbeldon Challenge.

We lived in Greenville for two full school years.

Those were two really good years!

No comments:

Post a Comment