Saturday, June 5, 2010

Mission to Nicaragua 2010

Photography by Paige Pruitt-Haase


July 20th - August 1st

Once again, I am preparing to return to the land of volcanoes. I am looking forward to being there again, unfortunately Doug and Sterling are not going this year. I am sad about it, a little nervous, but I know God has once again showed me how He wants me out of my comfort zone, in order to do His work. I am listening!

Nicaragua became a special place in our hearts four years ago when we travelled there to help build a vocational school, El Shaddai. The people there have become family, and to see their accomplishments fills our hearts with great joy. We have been back every year since, but don't get me wrong, if God calls us somewhere else we will go. We truly believe that our mission field is wherever God puts us each day.

This year, our team plans to go to two different areas during our time there. One place is called Cristo Rey, a very poor community where many of its people live off the garbage from the dump nearby. The other community is Ciudadela, equally as poor. Both are near the town of Tipitapa. Our church built a church in Tipitapa several years ago. We have visited the church on a few special occasions. We will be building "sister" churches to the first one. This is wonderful growth to be witnessing in an area that was filled with gangs and violence.

The people live in extreme poverty and are deeply grateful for all we do. Our main project for both sites is to put in the cement floor and roofing. Currently they just have wood posts, most likely to be old tree limbs, and black plastic wrapped around the posts for walls.

We will also be involved with helping a 3-4 day children's program by leading them in simple crafts and activities. We are expecting 400 children to attend each day during the week. We hope to give every child a goody bag with a few items they can use, like toothbrushes, toothpaste, soap, and maybe a few fun things like crayons, etc.

While I am paying my own way, our team will need to raise approximately $7500.00 for the building materials. The team will also need about $2000.00 for craft materials, goody bags for the children and partial scholarships for team members.

Please consider how you can support our team financially and in prayer. I hope you'll remember to pray for the whole team, but in addition, please pray specifically for me that God will help me with my nervousness about the trip. I know He is big enough to protect us, but honestly I am a bit nervous going without Doug.

Any donations can be delivered to Gateway Church with a memo "Nicaragua Mission". In case you would like to mail a check, the address is:

Gateway Church
1235 'E' Street
Washougal, WA 98671

If you have questions or want to contact me, my e-mail address is: paigechappy@yahoo.com
I am also on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/paigehaase

Bendecidos!

No comments:

Post a Comment