Monday, August 29, 2011

Too much time has past!

Photo by Paige Pruitt-Haase

As I went back into accounts and changed passwords, I realized just how long it has been since I have written a blog. Empty promises of continuing travel stories and sharing more photos! Wow, I have really let everyone down.

Since March, so much has happened. I am not sure if I can recollect all, but here are a few.

From March to May, I looked forward to going to see my nephew, Nicholas, take his first communion. My father was going too. All of us under one roof. My sister-in-law's roof! I was so excited to spend the time with them all.

Well the trip came and went all too fast! It was truly a wonderful time. Nicky looked smashing on his special day, and his party was a hit for all ages. Bouncy house, catered gourmet and free flowing conversation and laughter.

It was also Derby Day, which in my family, was always an important day! So everyone placed horse names in a hat, and for a friendly wager, you could draw a horse.

It was great fun to share this with my dad. It has been years since the whole family was at Churchill Downs together. My parents owned a race horse or two which also allowed them to choose membership to the Owner's Club. Which in its self, was never dull! But the last time I was there, I was alone with mom and dad. It was a winning day for the three of us and the mood was terrific.

The last race, dad hit it really big! He was rolling in the winnings! I had never seen him having so much fun! I loved that feeling.

That evening, dad was trying to watch a tv show, mom & I were talking. We were oblivious to the fact that he was becoming very annoyed. After asking us kindly, several times, to keep it down or go into the next room, he finally leaned into mom and said, "I will give you each $100 to stop talking or go into the other room". Mom and I looked at each other, smiled and turned to dad and stuck our hands out for the money! Dad reached into his wallet and paid up! We all laughed until we cried! He paid us from his winnings that day, for a little peace and quite!

Nicky's First Communion Party had the same atmosphere. Friends and family enjoying the time together. We even raised a glass to Gregory. There was a toast to him. It was hard to hear, to feel joy at that moment. Why was I there and not my brother? I went upstairs and prayed. I took a few moments to breathe and then rejoined the party.

It was still a wonderful day.

The weekend also included a Mets game for my dad's 75th birthday! I felt so blessed to be able to be with him, especially for his birthday! The Mets lost, but boy, what a day!
Photo by Paige Pruitt-Haase




Our next adventure at this point... Bend with my family!




No comments:

Post a Comment