Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Leaving for Nicaragua

Photography by Paige Pruitt-Haase

I started my Spiritual Journal that our team is given after our training. It begins 14 days prior to our departure. I always feel a bit overwhelmed when I begin it, but then it brings me to a place in my heart and in my mind, where I know I can totally trust in God. By the time I reach the page marked "7 days to departure", I know that no matter what I am trying to prepare for, God is in control and will guide me through.

A few days ago, I was reading scripture, Colossians 3:1-11. I wrote a note on my Facebook site in November of 2008, trying to explain to my friends, old and new, who I have become and how I got there. I feel as though I should share it again:

Colossians 3

Living the New Life
1 Since you have been raised to new life with Christ, set your sights on the realities of heaven, where Christ sits in the place of honor at God’s right hand. 2 Think about the things of heaven, not the things of earth. 3 For you died to this life, and your real life is hidden with Christ in God. 4 And when Christ, who is your[a] life, is revealed to the whole world, you will share in all his glory.

5 So put to death the sinful, earthly things lurking within you. Have nothing to do with sexual immorality, impurity, lust, and evil desires. Don’t be greedy, for a greedy person is an idolater, worshiping the things of this world. 6 Because of these sins, the anger of God is coming.[b] 7 You used to do these things when your life was still part of this world. 8 But now is the time to get rid of anger, rage, malicious behavior, slander, and dirty language. 9 Don’t lie to each other, for you have stripped off your old sinful nature and all its wicked deeds. 10 Put on your new nature, and be renewed as you learn to know your Creator and become like him. 11 In this new life, it doesn’t matter if you are a Jew or a Gentile,[c] circumcised or uncircumcised, barbaric, uncivilized,[d] slave, or free. Christ is all that matters, and he lives in all of us.

12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience. 13 Make allowance for each other’s faults, and forgive anyone who offends you. Remember, the Lord forgave you, so you must forgive others. 14 Above all, clothe yourselves with love, which binds us all together in perfect harmony. 15 And let the peace that comes from Christ rule in your hearts. For as members of one body you are called to live in peace. And always be thankful.

16 Let the message about Christ, in all its richness, fill your lives. Teach and counsel each other with all the wisdom he gives. Sing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs to God with thankful hearts. 17 And whatever you do or say, do it as a representative of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through him to God the Father.


This is how I finally found my happiness through all the anger, darkness and sadness. This is where I found how I am truly loved. I opened a heavily bolted door, to let Christ in to my life. Through my faith, I receive His grace. I am alive. I have great joy. I have forgiven, and been forgiven. I can live each day knowing I am loved. I care, I listen, I reach out to others. I am completely alive!


I pray the same for all of you, because I love and care for you. I have been praying it since I first posted this on Facebook.

In 7 days, I will be departing the comforts of my home, leaving my family behind and arriving in a country that is heavily laden with poverty. It is very tough to witness the first time you go, but I am finding that it does not get any easier the more you go. I have gained trustworthy, loving and caring relationships with my extended family there. It is very difficult to see their struggles. You want to give them everything God has gifted to you. You can't, they would become dependent upon it. So, you give it to God. Through Him, His works, His word, His grace we all overcome.

I ask for your prayers as I finish packing. Pray for the team. For our health, for our strength. Pray for the people we will meet and work side by side with. Pray that our actions are only those representing our dear Lord and His works so that the people on the job site that do not believe in Him, may see Him through us. Pray that I am able to overcome the obstacles in my life I am struggling with right now. I have not felt completely whole since I lost my brother, the evil one knows I am at a weak point in my life and would love for me to fail. I have full trust in God - He called me to the mission, I praise Him for His trust in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment